Thursday, June 30, 2011

Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)

Summary:
Yossarian is a bombardier in World War II, flying over Italy, France, and wherever else the US Air Force says he should fly. He's crazy. His friends in his unit are crazy. In the Air Force, you can go home if you're crazy, but you have to ask to go home. If you ask to go home, you obviously care about your safety, which means you're not crazy, so you can't go home. It's called Catch-22.

Thoughts:
Honestly, it's hysterical. It's heavy subject matter, to be sure. It was so heavy sometimes, I needed to take a break and read something else for a while. Because of that, it took me quite a long time to power through. But it's funny. Every single character has some kind of crazy going on. The men go to Rome so regularly, one of the men has a prostitute he's in love with. Her only name in the book, in fact, is "Nately's whore." The men drive each other to insanity on a regular basis. I laughed on a regular basis through the whole book. There were also those moments when I got reminded that it was a book about a war.

It's certainly not linear, especially in the beginning few chapters. It is a brilliant novel, though, and I understand exactly why it's always on all those Top 100 book lists. It makes complete sense. I'm sure that if I read this when I was in high school, I wouldn't have appreciated it nearly as much as I did now. I'm glad I picked it up. If you managed to get out of it like I did when I was in school, I recommend picking it up now. It's a great read.

Book 20 of 30. Might have to raise this number...

Pages: 453, if you don't count the 50 pages of criticism, history and commentary included at the end of my edition.
Genre: General fiction, historical fiction, Top 100 book list
Grade: A
Would I Recommend?: Absolutely. Long read, yes. But worth it, for sure.

No comments: