Sunday, March 11, 2012

Dead to the World (Charlaine Harris)

Summary:
Sookie Stackhouse the reluctant mind reader is at it again. This book finds her starting a new year by taking care of the most powerful vampire in Area 5, Eric Northman, who has lost his memory thanks to a new witch in the area. The new Eric is thoughtful and insecure, and wants to be wherever Sookie is, so long as it's night time. His second in command, Pam, negotiates with Sookie and Sookie's brother, Jason, for Sookie to take care of Eric and hide him at her house until his underlings can deal with the witch and her coven. The same night that Jason and Pam strike a deal for Eric's hiding safely at Sookie's, Jason goes missing from his house. The book follows as Sookie deals with Jason's disappearance by day, and Eric's safe keeping by night.

Thoughts:
To be quite honest, I enjoyed this one far better than previous installments in the series. I'm not as big a fan of Bill anymore (who is Sookie's ex, and Eric's subordinate), and I was okay with him being in Peru for the majority of the story. I do like Eric better, but there wasn't much of the old, usual Eric to be seen in this. It was more the memory-less Eric that Sookie spent time with, and while he was a fun character to watch, I wished we could have seen more of the old Eric as well. I want to get to know him better. There was also a couple of appearances of Sookie's friend Alcide, a werewolf from the area that helped her in her adventure to Jackson, Mississippi in the previous book. It seems I tend to like the heroes that the heroine ISN'T dating at the start of a series better than the one she is dating. Ah, but I digress. Back to Sookie and friends. I like her strong personality, and that she's beginning to hold her own a little better around the two-natured (vamps, werewolves, shape-shifters, etc.) and can stand up for herself in a fight. Good for her.

Book 9 of 50

Pages: 291
Genre: mystery and romance, with the vampire twist
Grade: A-
Would I Recommend?: Yup. It's far better than previous ones. I'm glad I started up with this series again.

No comments: