Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Red Hot Valentine's Day (various)

Summary:
This collection of four short stories has two set in the nineteenth century, one set in modern-ish times with demons, and one set in actual modern times. Warning, these stories are flat-out erotica, and not recommended for the faint of heart. Story one sees a whole lotta action for an unmarried gentleman seeking a wife, and his current mistress, a widow with a wandering eye. Story two finds a long-distance couple trying to finally celebrate a Valentine's Day in the same time zone. Story three throws together an incubus and a succubus who are past lovers, and whose job on earth is to bring damned souls to hell through any sexual means possible. Story four finds a widow and her first (and unrequited) love stuck together during a snow storm.

Thoughts:
I almost didn't post about this book, because I just didn't know how I felt about it. But I'm sticking to my guns, and posting about every book I read, no matter the content. That being said, holy crap. I was given this as a gift, and the giver had no idea of the true content, other than it sounded like a romance, and something I might enjoy. I can't tell you my surprise when I cracked the cover. Whoo boy. Story one is literally sex-laden. I can remember at least six instances of sexual activity off the top of my head, and that was in a grand total of seventy pages. There's very little actual STORY here, it's more "how do I get this guy into that chick's bed fastest?" I wasn't impressed. There's erotica written purely for the sex, and erotica written with an actual storyline involved, and this is very clearly in the first category. Clearly. Story two's got a little more going for it, and the erotica involved is actually more of a story within a story that's being sent back and forth between the couple as they try to pass time between meetings. Not altogether bad, and probably my second favorite out of the four options. Still, the author was very obviously trying to fulfill a couple challenges, either put forth from friends, or challenges to herself. Story three was just weird. It has two sections based in modern times, and one set in Hell itself. I mean, I'm all for fantastical stories and everything, but this one was just flat-out bizarre. And add in a few seriously detailed sexual encounters, and there you go. Definitely the least favorite of the bunch. I hate stopping reading things in the middle of a story, but on this bad boy, I was sorely tempted. Holy geez. Story four was sweet. Sure, it was hot stuff, too, but it actually had a storyline to it, and not just something to get the partners from sexual point A to point B. It had a bit of a Pride and Prejudice feel to it, though Jane Austen would never have dared to put erotica into any of her novels, and is probably rolling in her grave at my mere suggestion of such a thing. However, it was definitely the best of the pack, and you know the old saying. "Save the best for last." Once again, that's absolutely true, and I'm proud of this author for actually putting together a thoughtful piece that happens to include some racy sex scenes, instead of sex with a side of story.

Book 12 of 50

Pages:292
Genre:Erotica.
Grade:C+
Would I Recommend?:Eh. I've read better, and I've read worse. I certainly won't be reading it again...

No comments: