Saturday, July 27, 2013

Notorious Nineteen (Janet Evanovich)

Summary:
It's slow again at the bond office, until Stephanie lands a particularly strange skip. A guy was about to go to jail for embezzling millions from an old folks' home when he mysteriously disappears from the hospital treating him for an appendectomy. Steph is charged with finding him, but succeeds in finding that he was in far deeper than anyone knew. Steph has to find the skip, and figure out what's really going on, before someone winds up dead. Oh, and in the meantime, Stephanie is dealing with the idea of actually settling down and the thought of marriage. The first one went south quick, but with the two hunks she's got in her life, maybe she'll actually do okay with it this time around...

Thoughts:
Really good. The tension in the Morelli vs. Ranger conundrum Stephanie is dealing with, and has been for most of the series, is really starting to come to a head. The mystery bits and the romance bits have really evened out, to the point that I've just sat here for several minutes pondering the mashed adjective that would best describe these books. (Romanstery? Mystermance? I didn't get too far.) I've appreciated that the skips Steph has to chase don't seem to get old. Evanovich has found the exact right formula for formula-breaking. She never ceases to make me wonder what exactly Steph is going to have to deal with next. I have found so many times that the mystery stuff becomes a by-rote mechanism with so many other series, where Evanovich is making things interesting and engaging her readers at every turn, which is absolutely not easy to do when you're already eighteen books into a series, twenty-two if you count the "Between the Numbers" books as well. In finishing this installment of the Plum series, I've actually gone and caught up to the rest of the world. It's been worth the time and effort of it. Truly. It's taken me nearly a year and a half to best the series, (One for the Money's post went up 5/20/12, though I'd finished it some time in April), but keep in mind that I've read thirty-eight other books between the Plum installments. I don't regret reading a single word of it, either. Stephanie Plum drew me into her crazy, car-exploding, felon-chasing, hot-man-filled world, and I'd like to stay please. Now I just have to wait with the masses for the next book to come along. But don't you worry. Once it's out, I'll be all over it! Keep your eyes peeled in November, friends.

Book 24 of 50

Pages: 322
Genre: mystery with a side of romance
Grade: A
Would I Recommend?: Read the rest first.

No comments: