Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Aunt Dimity's Death (Nancy Atherton)

Summary:
The book opens with Lori Shepherd, a broke woman still mourning her mother's death several years prior, gets a phone call asking her to go to Willis & Willis, a law firm. When she reaches Willis & Willis, she finds out that the heroine to her favorite stories from her childhood, Aunt Dimity, was not just a character from her single mother's imagination, but actually a live human being, and in fact, her mother's best friend and pen pal for forty-plus years. What follows is a heart-warming trek through her mother's and Dimity's past, filled with despair, romance, and an appearance (of sorts) of ghostly Aunt Dimity herself.

Thoughts:
What a beautifully told, and fun story this was.

Ms. Atherton's writing made me not want to put down the book, ever. Even when I was falling asleep because it was 2am, and I was going to be woken up at 7, I couldn't leave Lori and Dimity alone. Sure, I wanted to smack Lori around a few times for her obliviousness. Sure, I figured out how some of the romancey stuff was going to turn out. But Dimity's whole mysterious story kept me guessing.

I highly recommend this one. It's a great story that had me giggling at some bits, and on the edge of my seat for others. And an added bonus is that there are thirteen other Dimity stories for me to sink my teeth into! I'll be quite busy this year, I think.

4 down, 46 to go!


Pages: 244
Genre: Mystery with a dash of fantasy and a hint of romance.
Grade: A+
Would I Read Again?: Absolutely, and I'll be reading more in the future.

No comments: