Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I Heart New York (Lindsey Kelk)

Summary:
As we first meet the very British Angela, she has the distinct pleasure of finding out that her boyfriend who she thought was about to propose was, in fact, schtooping some chick he plays tennis with. Oh, and she finds this out at her best friend's wedding. Double oh, she finds out that her best friend and the new hubby knew the whole time. Because they all played tennis together. Except Angela. Yeah. So Angela decides to run. To New York City. She winds up not only meeting two hot guys, AND dating both of them, to the point where she gets to choose which man she wants to date, but she lands a blogging gig that gets her serious exposure. And she gets her happily ever.

Thoughts:
The whole thing is very Mary-Sue-ish to me. I didn't like the the dude she wound up with, and the fact that she basically falls into the blog thing annoyed me too. No one has it that easy. The book was a fast read, for sure. But the character was so dysfunctional and wishy-washy, I just didn't like her. It didn't help that the true resolution with her best friend who knew everything about the affair and told her nothing happened some time between the end of the "last chapter" and the beginning of the "epilogue." She speaks to the best friend over the phone for four pages' worth of time, says "Goodbye, I love you, and I'm glad you're okay" and then it goes from there to months down the line where the best friend sends her a congratulatory text. Seriously? Sometimes I wonder about why people end books like that. Let's just leave relationships in a weird limbo, yeah, that's a great plan! I like it.

Book 9 of 30 books for the year

Pages: 307
Genre: General Fiction/Romance
Grade: B-/C+
Would I Recommend?: Eh. Read it, don't read it. It's all up to you.

No comments: