Sunday, May 27, 2012

Dead and Gone (Charlaine Harris)

Summary:
Sookie's got more troubles as usual. Her friends and colleagues in the Were community (werewolves, werepanthers, etcetera) are officially coming out of the supernatural closet. The FBI wants to question her about how she was able to help find people in the bombing of the vampire summit a few months back, and they're hoping to exploit her gift. There's fairies that are after her, and want her dead. A former bestie of Sookie's is not cool with the news that their boss is a shapeshifter, and wants to take them all down. There's a crucifixion. And to top it all off, Eric does something really sneaky that ties Sookie even tighter to him. Poor girl.

Thoughts:
Once again, a good one. I am starting to get a bit annoyed, though, at how Harris ends these books. Sure, they leave you wanting more, that's not a big issue. But when the wanting is for a more wrapped up plot, and for an actual ending to a book, not a "to be continued," that's not a good thing. Harris does pack a punch with this one once again, which I appreciate, and there's always something going on. I really enjoy Sookie's growing attachment to Eric, because I always liked his character, and how they interacted. I'll keep going with the series, because there's not much left, but the open endings are starting to bug me, especially considering Harris only puts out one book a year, it seems, and I'm coming very close to the current end of the series. I will say, though, I'd be interested in going back and watching how this would play out on the TV show. I wonder if it'll even be around long enough to get to these plot points, though it might, as it's already in season five, and each season seemed to equate to one of the books in the series.

Book 20 of 50

Pages: 312
Genre: Mystery, romance, and vampires
Grade: B+
Would I Recommend?: Please start from the beginning of this series, if you're going to read it at all. It's too confusing otherwise.

No comments: