Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Rock Star's Daughter (Caitlyn Duffy)

Summary:
Taylor is a fifteen year old girl, with a partying mom and a rock star dad, who goes to a boarding school. The summer before she turns sixteen, her mother dies and she's forced to go on the road with her father, who she has only met twice before. The book follows Taylor as she deals with the loss of her mother and builds a relationship with her father, her father's wife, and the rest of the band, the crew, and the roadies. She's got a lot of learning to do.

Thoughts:
Taylor's an inexperienced girl in many ways, not the least of which being her never having been disciplined by an adult. She's had to raise herself, which puts her in an awkward place when she realizes that there should actually be rules to follow, even when you're a teenager. Taylor is naive, and very young-for-her-age, despite having to help her mother get through life too. The summer romance bits are thin and not very well done. She "falls in love" after three brief encounters with a cute boy. Sure, I was a teenage girl once too, but really? In any case, the book isn't all that well-written, and Caitlyn Duffy writes like she's just starting out as a writer (which, by reading the Author's Bio on the last page, she apparently is). I would say skip this unless you can get it free as a Kindle book, like I did, and don't have to shell out anything for it. Otherwise, save your time. I had to push my way through the last few chapters because I just wanted to move on to something else. My attention wasn't held at all. I won't be continuing this series, most especially because it seems Duffy will be writing about different girls that all go to the same school, instead of continuing with the same life she's already built. That's not my favorite kind of series, let me tell you.

Book 31 of 50

Pages: 319 read as an e-book
Genre: Teenlit
Grade: C+
Would I Recommend?: Meh, only if you can get it free, and have NOTHING else to read. Otherwise, not worth the bother.

No comments: