Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Quick and the Thread (Amanda Lee)

Summary:
Marcy is a former accountant whose best friend and college roommate convinces her to move to the quaint little town of Tullulah Falls, Oregan to open an embroidery store, something she's always wanted to do. The evening of her grand opening party, the former renter of the space where her store now stands drunkenly confronts her and tries to tell her something. Marcy avoids the man, and he winds up dead in her storeroom. The book follows as she learns just how small town politics work, and uncovers more than just a murder. Oh, and there's a couple good looking men trying to catch her eye, of course.

Thoughts:
Pretty standard for a murder mystery, complete with hunky cop. The book's fairly well-written, though I did guess correctly who was involved in the plot midway through. A few times I wanted to thump the main character in the head for letting herself get wrapped up in the situation, but there's just about always things like that. Oh, but the most bothersome bit for me was all the classic 50's and 60's movie references. I get that the character is into the classics, but you don't have to imagine yourself in Casablana or Breakfast at Tiffany's every single chapter. A few references are fine. Tons and tons are overkill. But I'm not the author, so what do I know. I'm thinking I'll give the series a try, though. The characters, for the most part, were believable and interesting enough that I'll give the next book in the series a try, and determine from there.

Book 9 of 50

Pages: 313
Genre: mystery
Grade: B
Would I Recommend?: Sure, why not? It was pretty solid.

No comments: