Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Real Macaw (Donna Andrews)

First, let me apologize for my lateness in posting this one. I'll do better next week, I promise! On to the book! Summary:
Meg and Michael are kept running with their two boisterous twin boys, only a few months old now. And of course, because Meg doesn't have nearly enough to do with a set of screaming twins, her father, grandfather, and brother decide to make her house the base of operations for a clandestine clearing of the town animal shelter. Dozens of cats, dogs, and even a bad-mouthed macaw have invaded her living room after the shelter announced euthanizations due to a lack of town funds. The animal rights group, led by the men in Meg's family, couldn't let such a thing stand, and take advantage of Meg's inability to say no YET again. Oh, and someone from the group gets murdered on his way to the pick-up site. Oops. And to top it all off, there's scandal brewing in Town Hall and Meg, the nosy woman she is, has to get to the bottom of it.

Thoughts:
Standard practice in the Meg Langslow book series. Meg's family find something to involve themselves in, they use her space to lead the revolution (not their own, because that would be far too considerate), and then someone gets killed in relation to whatever project this happens to be. The more I read the Langslow books, the more I think that she's a huge pushover. Sure, she gets things done, and they're usually good for a laugh. But Meg's always having people invade her space to do something that she doesn't much care about. I don't like that her family doesn't seem to have any respect for her or her new family, and does whatever it is that they want. But as I said, these are usually good for a laugh and a cringe and a "thank GOD my family isn't like that."

Book 11 of 50

Pages: 320
Genre: mystery
Grade: B
Would I Recommend?: Sure, why not.

No comments: