Saturday, June 29, 2013

1st to Die (James Patterson)

Summary:
Lindsey is a homicide detective in California who just got assigned the case of a double murder, a husband and wife on their wedding night, in their honeymoon suite, no less. It's brutal, and there's defilement and Lindsey has to fight to keep herself together. Cindy is a young reporter, trying to make it to feature writer. Claire is the city medical examiner, stuck at the bottom of the totem pole in her field. Jill is the assistant district attorney with nerves of steel. These four women band together to solve the Bride and Groom murders, of which two more cases come along, through sharing information and doing the big research outside their usual jurisdictions. Lindsey also has to deal with the added stress of having a seriously debilitating disease ravaging her body. Will they be able to find the deranged murderer before he kills another set of newlyweds before they get the chance to start their lives?

Thoughts:
Really, really good. This really held my attention. I listened as I drove to and from work for a few weeks, (my ride is maybe 10 minutes on a bad day) and there were a few days where I almost was late for work because I didn't want to get out of the car. The story is gripping, and the characters are really well fleshed-out. It makes total sense that this story is fantastic. It's James Effing Patterson. That said, I was riveted, and I'm definitely going to keep going with the series.

Book 20 of 50

Pages: 488, read as an audio book.
Genre: Mystery
Grade: A
Would I Recommend?: Totally. It's Patterson. He's been a best-selling author for years for a good reason, people.

No comments: