Saturday, June 8, 2013

Murder for Choir (Joelle Charbonneau)

Summary:
Paige Marshall is an opera singer by trade, and very good at what she does, if only she could land herself another job. Between opera gigs, Paige has accepted a position at North Shore High, as the director of their top glee club, Music in Motion. During their summer choir camp, which is a week-long gearing-up for the choir members and directors where they start learning basic choreography and music for the season, one of the rival glee clubs' directors is murdered, and one of Paige's students is arrested for the crime. She can't believe that the boy did it and takes it upon herself to start her own investigation, which leads her to becoming the killer's next target.

Thoughts:
Solid plot, fun characters, and a light-hearted writing style come together in this first book of a new series, both for me and for the world at large. Charbonneau started the series last year, and has gotten two books into it so far, and I'm hoping she'll have plenty more where this came from. (After a quick web search, she's already through with the second revision of the third in the series. Awesome!) Paige is a strong character, with plenty of spunk and a great personality. The cop is hunky (as usual in these books!) and the friends are great characters too! I won't lie, I called the murderer early, as well as a few other plot details, but there were plenty that were a surprise too. My other half actually stumbled upon the series on a visit to Barnes and Noble recently, and I couldn't deny getting the first in the series. My lack of restraint payed off. I'll definitely be looking into more from this author. She's got a fun voice, and can spin the story just right, so that you don't care that you've figured it out already. It's fun to see all the in-betweens. So getting my hands on other stuff from Charbonneau. Try not to hate me for it!

Book 17 of 50

Pages:
Genre: Mystery/romance/chick lit with a dash of comedy for good luck!
Grade: A
Would I Recommend?: Heck yes. Jump in while it's still young, and we can enjoy it together!

No comments: