Friday, March 26, 2010

A Charmed Death (Madelyn Alt)

Summary:
The second book in the series finds Maggie, a 30-something living in Small Town America, starting to deal with the fact that she is, in fact, an empath. She meets a young bitch-in-training who subsequently gets murdered after leaving the antiques/Magic Box-esque shop Maggie works in. The book follows Maggie as she plays super sleuth to find out just exactly what happened to "poor" Amanda. At the same time, she pines for the man she hooked up with, and then broke up with over her new-found magical abilities, while hanging out a lot with the guy that she thinks her boss/magical mentor is seeing.

Thoughts:
Another good turn for Alt. She has a way of writing that draws you in, and holds on tight, so that even though you've put the book down and walked away to do something else, it's still on your mind, and you're wondering whodunnit. The books in the series seem to be a slightly more adult version of the early seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer without the vamps, with a freak-of-the-week type mystery that needs to get sorted out with or without magic. Alt's writing style is fun. The way she paints her characters makes you want to know them. She also ends the books in a way that leaves you hungry for more. I'll definitely be keeping up with this series.

Pages: 289
Genre: Mystery/fantasy
Grade: A
Would I Read Again?: Totally.

I'm thinking I'll be changing that last question to "Would I recommend this to others?" because I'm not a re-reader by nature, because I tend to remember a lot of details once I get into re-reading something.

Also, I cracked into Murder with Peacocks by Donna Andrews, and I'm only about 40 pages in, and it's hilarious. That one will go fast, I wager, and you'll be hearing about it soon. Oh, and I'm still in the middle of Kermit's book.

9 down, 41 to go!

No comments: