Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Pact (Jodi Picoult)

Summary:
Chris and Emily grew up together. Literally. Their parents were best friends, and so were they, all through their childhoods. And at thirteen and fourteen, when it was time for them to explore a relationship with the opposite sex, of course they did it together. But at seventeen, they find themselves at a carousel in the middle of the night, with a revolver, two bullets, and a sadness growing within them. Emily winds up dead, and Chris is left to pick up the pieces.

The book begins with the shot, and follows Chris as he gets arrested for Emily's murder and put on trial.

Thoughts:
This book is wholly depressing. Readers watch as Chris gets locked up and deals with prison life, and his parents deal with the fear that their son is a murderer. We see Emily's parents fight the idea that not only was their daughter possibly suicidal, but also keeping very big secrets from them.

It was well written, yes, and a real page-turner for sure. But it was completely depressing, and if all of Picoult's work is this sad, I don't think I can bring myself to read more. I read to get my mind off the heaviness of the world around me, not to be dragged down further.

Oh, and according to the cover, this is a love story. This was just a sadness story.

Pages: 389
Genre: Mystery, romance?
Grade: B+
Would I Recommend?: Maybe, if you like to read a depressing love story...

21 down, 29 to go!

1 comment:

Eesti said...

This story took me by surprise every moment. I loved the way she told all of the history between the two families. The story was so tragic and I was completely immersed in it the entire time I read it