Sunday, October 30, 2011

Witness to Death (Dave White)

Summary:
John's just a regular guy. He suspects that the man his ex, Michelle, is dating might be cheating on her. John's suspicions lead him down a road he wasn't expecting. Michelle's honey knows his way around guns, can fight better than Tyson and Holyfield and Bond combined, and can distract cops so easily, you'd think he was using the Force. The novel follows John, and Michelle's new guy, Frank (or is it Peter??) as they get to the bottom of a plot to kill them. There are shootings, deaths, and even an explosion or two.

Thoughts:
Awesome as usual. Before I go on, I should say that I am privileged enough to know the author. He's family. However, that does NOT mean that I treat his novels with kid gloves compared to the other stuff I've read. Sure, it might make Dave feel good, but if those three of you that actually read this blog (ha.) decided to pick up a Dave White novel based on my say-so, and find it to be a roiling pile of crap, you'd probably run screaming for the hills and my readership would be down to, well, nothing at all.

So now on to the review. I honestly love White's writing style. It helps that he's based in Northern Jersey, and so are his characters, and that's my current section of the world as well. The blunt but humorous descriptions and observations of White's characters bring them closer to reality for me because I see the world in a similar way. As we the reader follow John the teacher through these escapades of his, we feel for the guy, and really care about him as if he's the chatty neighbor who you'll be talking to about his kids tomorrow on your way out your respective doors. With most mystery writers, I can predict the exact angle and trajectory of the next shoe's drop before it's dropped but, with White, you never can tell. I usually catch up with where the plot's going to go about three sentences before it goes there. He packs so many twists into a single book, you feel like you're on the world's longest roller coaster, and believe me, there's always a final drop out of no where before you roll back into the station. The last drop in this one comes in the chapter that's usually the epilogue-like one, where we the readers finally relax and think everything's all finished. Literally, a Chekov's Gun scene comes out of nowhere, and I still (after having finished this a couple days ago) can't believe the ending. Trust me when I tell you, Dave White's got a knack for the drama, and I enjoy the hell out of every one of his books.

Side note: This book is not available in paper form. It's an eReader only one. I was hesitant about it, because I like the solid, tangible books in hand, but because it's White, I downloaded the book, and I am not sorry. Pick it up. It's worth the megabytes.

Book 31 of 50

Pages: Unspecified, eReader book
Genre: Mystery
Grade: A
Would I Recommend?: Absolutely, and not just because he's family. Two good reasons you should download this: 1, it's effing GOOD, and 2, it's only $0.99. Come on. Writing this good is a steal at any price, but at under a dollar, will you really feel gypped? Doubtful.

No comments: